Woman woke sleeping residents to escape fire
BATON ROUGE - An apartment fire that took the life of one woman has some displaced today.
The fire happened a little after 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 800 block of Carrollton Avenue. The building consisted of 10 studio apartments, eight of which were occupied at the time.
Diane Johnson was walking home and saw the apartment building engulfed in flames.
"I'm walking real fast to try to get down here," said Johnson.
Johnson started banging on doors as soon as she got to the apartment to wake up sleeping residents. She also called 911.
"I think they all would have perished... would have burnt up in there because they were asleep."
What started the fire is still unknown, but officials said they have ruled out foul play. The fire department said the situation is still under investigation.