Wheelchair-bound man dies in Clinton fire
CLINTON - Fire officials say a wheelchair-bound man died in an apartment fire Tuesday morning.
It happened at the Clinton Manor Apartments. He was identified as 47-year old Christian Phillips.
Clinton Fire Chief Doug Beauchamp says the fire was mostly smoldering when they arrived on scene before 7:30 a.m. Once the smoke cleared, they found Phillips' body inside the apartment.
Chief Beauchamp says the apartments have a good safety record, and Phillips' apartment did have a working smoke alarm.
People at a store near the complex say Phillips visited them daily using his motorized wheelchair. Investigators are unsure if his condition kept him from safely leaving the apartment during the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Police chief says no reason to be alarmed despite 8 shootings in...
Push for "City of St. George" could return, but with obstacles
Paratroopers jump into the Box as LSU welcomes military, baseball season
Chief: More police, partnerships will work to curb violent streak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: US Marshals searching for escaped WBR inmate