Weinstein defense: Set to 'begin our fight'
NEW YORK (AP) - Harvey Weinstein's attorney says that his defense is set to "begin our fight" in the courtroom after he pleaded not guilty to rape and criminal sex act charges in New York.
Weinstein appeared before a judge in Manhattan Tuesday after a grand jury charged him last week with raping a woman in a hotel room and forcing another to perform oral sex in his office. Benjamin Brafman called the case against Weinstein "imminently defensible" based on what they have learned about the evidence.
He says that as bad as the crime of rape is, it's equally reprehensible to be falsely accused. His bail was previously set at $1 million, allowing him to remain free while he awaits trial.
He is scheduled to return to court Sept. 20. Brafman says Weinstein is "holding up reasonably well."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Hundreds of volunteers pick up litter around the capital city
New entertainment venue set to open at Mall of Louisiana in 2019
Cheeky Capitol parking lot security system strikes again
Denham Springs adds second resource officer to watch its schools
Rouzan development takes shape after years of controversy