Water keeps senior citizens from returning home
BATON ROUGE - Senior citizens displaced by a fire will have to stay out for a second night, but not due to damage from the flames.
A microwave caught fire on the fifth floor of Catholic Presbyterian Apartments late Wednesday night. The apartment's sprinkler system quickly extinguished the fire, but not before causing a flood on the five bottom floors.
"The fire alarm just kept going on and on and I heard water like it was coming through, so I ran down and it was running down on the floors downstairs," explained Vera Meeks.
Many residents had to stay with family while crews worked to dry out the walls and floors. Ten people were taken to a hotel by the Red Cross.
"That's a bad feeling," said resident Liz Young, "but it was alright, I still have my life so I could deal with it."
All residents are expected to return home by Friday.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Fallen EBRSO Sgt. Shawn Anderson to be laid to rest
Fallen EBRSO Sgt. Shawn Anderson escorted to Healing Place Church
Walker police officer resigns after placing noose in squad room
Pastor hopes to help family, friends heal as Sergeant Anderson is laid...
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Livingston deputy ignores three court subpoenas, held in contempt