Posted: Sep 16, 2013 2:39 PM
Updated: Sep 16, 2013 4:10 PM
Source: Associated Press
WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement officials say the man accused in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left at least 12 people dead has been identified as Aaron Alexis.
The 34 year-old Alexis, from Texas, is believed to have a criminal record there and to be a holder of a concealed carry weapon permit. The Navy said he was also a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.
Alexis is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else's identification card. It is not yet clear if that individual was an accomplice or if that person's ID card was stolen.
Earlier in the day, authorities had been looking for two other people who may have been involved in the shooting. One of those people has been identified and ruled out as a suspect.
However, D. C. Mayor Vincent Gray says investigators are still searching for a third individual wearing an olive-green, military-style uniform to determine if he was involved.
The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
The FBI asked people with information about Alexis' background to contact them.