W. Feliciana fire burns down barn, injures owner
FRANKLINTON - A gasoline leak ignited a fire that burned a 7,000 square foot barn to the ground and injured the owner in West Feliciana Parish on Wednesday afternoon.
Firefighters said they responded to a reported fire on Pittman Road at 10:43 a.m. and a crew of 10 firefighters and eight fire trucks worked for hours to put out the blaze. They did not leave the scene until 3:30 p.m.
Early information gathered by firefighters indicates that the fire started after a large gasoline tank was hit by a tractor and began to leak gasoline. Robert Graham, the owner of the property, was trying to stop the leak when the gas caught fire and burned him.
Graham was taken by EMS to the Baton Rouge Burn Center with severe wounds to his upper body. One firefighter was also taken to an area hospital to be treated for heat exhaustion and muscle cramps. With temperatures near 90 degrees and humidity listed at 90 percent, all of the firefighters struggled with cramps while they worked to halt the fire.
The investigation into the fire is currently suspended due to the location of the fire. While it was determined by investigators that the road and driveway to the residence are in Louisiana, the property's residence and barn fall within the boundaries of Mississippi. The case will be referred to fire officials in Mississippi for further investigation.
Investigators said the 7,000 square foot structure is considered an total loss and damage to tractors and farm equipment inside the barn is estimated to be more than $650,000.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Atchafalaya backwater flooding to linger for weeks
Landlord featured in On Your Side report arrested in alleged rental scheme
Officials make changes to Intracoastal Bridge merging
Former BRPD officer on a mission to walk again after horrific crash
DOTD: Repairs to Intracoastal Bridge may take up to a month to...