Victim's family says safety still not a priority a year after Deepwater Horizon explosion
BATON ROUGE- The explosion of the Deepwater Horizon is still fresh in the minds of the people who lost loved ones and they contend safety offshore still isn't a priority.
Keith Jones' son, Gordon, was an engineer on-board the rig. He was one of 11 killed a year ago Wednesday. Jones says normalcy still hasn't found its way back to the family a year later.
"I think the next year is going to allow us to have some peace and to come to accept Gordon's loss in a better way than we have so far," he said.
Because so far, Jones says the past year has been spent talking on TV, lobbying in Washington and battling with big oil trying to get justice for Gordon, his wife Michelle and his two sons, one who was still unborn when Gordon died.
Jones said, "Wouldn't it be nice if the deaths of these eleven good men could result in something good?"
But Jones says despite he and his other son Chris' efforts to achieve that 'something good,' he feels that people have forgotten the sacrifice his son suffered in the place of safety.
"Nobody is talking about safer oil wells, safer drilling practices, nobody seems to care anymore about that, they just don't want to pay four dollars for gasoline," Jones said.
But Jones is hoping these images, and his son's face, will make a difference some day.
"Gordon will be remembered on his own," he said, "Gordon's death, I hope, will be remembered by the people who make decisions on those rigs"
But in the meantime, his focus will be on making a difference in his grandsons' lives.
"I'm going to continue to be around them and share with them stories about their dad and enjoy from them what they'll give me, which is, a relationship with them and their dad through them," he said.
Several families will be flown over the accident site Wednesday as a memorial. The Jones', however, will not be on that flight. Instead, they'll be spending time together as a family here in Baton Rouge.