US pushes states on disabling drunk drivers' cars
WASHINGTON- U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx wants states to require first-time drunken drivers to use alcohol breath monitors before they get behind the wheel.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released guidelines on Tuesday for states to use "ignition interlock programs." The programs force drivers to blow into a breath analyzer.
If they've been drinking, their cars won't start.
Currently 20 states require the devices for first-time offenders.
Foxx spoke at an event in Washington kicking off the annual "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" enforcement program.
The Transportation Department says drunken driving crash deaths rose 4.6 percent last year to 10,322. It's the first jump after six years of declines.
Last year 830 people died in drunken driving crashes during the winter holidays.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Teens recognized as state\'s top future soldiers by Governor Edwards
Coursey Blvd. gardening business vandalized, owner says more than $10,000 in damages
Man arrested accused of injuring prominent realtor in Prairieville
Baton Rouge man treated by President Trump's doctor after medical emergency
Families, veterans pay respects on Memorial Day at Port Hudson National Cemetery