US asked Russia not to bomb near US commandos in Syria
WASHINGTON - U.S. defense officials say the U.S. has asked Russia to avoid airstrikes in an area of northern Syria where American special operations forces have been working with Syrians fighting the Islamic State group.
The U.S. request was disclosed Thursday by Lt. Gen. Charles Q. Brown Jr., commander of U.S. air forces in the Middle East.
Brown says that in making the request, U.S. officials did not pinpoint the U.S. troops' location but did ask that Russian strike aircraft avoid broad areas.
Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook says the request was made directly from the Defense Department to the Russian Ministry of Defense, but he isn't saying when it came.
Cook says the Russians have honored the request so far.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Rouzan development purchased, construction to start immediately
Free clinic continues this weekend
Funeral services for fireman killed in the line of duty announced
Couple sentenced in 2015 vigilante justice murder case
Man sneaks into local restaurant, robs employees & customers at gunpoint