71°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 Day Outlook
Sat
87°
69°
40%
Sun
94°
69°
20%
Mon
79°
67°
60%

Latest Weather Blog

Follow our weather team on social media

ULM fire caused by stovetop

2 years ago Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:53:10 AM CDT June 19, 2012 Tuesday, June 19 2012 Jun 19, 2012 in News
Source: AP

MONROE- Monroe Fire Department chief investigator David Hill says last week's fire at the University of Louisiana at Monroe's George T. Walker Hall was likely caused by an "energized" stovetop.

In a statement released Monday, Hill said the fire originated in the northeast corner of Room I-97.

Hill said damage reviewed in this area is consistent with the energized stove top igniting common combustibles that were stored nearby.

The News-Star reports no one was injured in the two-alarm fire that began in a first floor custodial closet about 10:06 a.m. June 12, but ULM officials have scrambled to find temporary space for offices and classrooms.

Walker Hall is expected to remain closed until at least early next year as a result of the damage.

More News

comments powered by Disqus

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
5 Days
Radar
Fri
71°
72°
Sat
87°
69°
Sun
94°
69°
Mon
79°
67°
Tue
73°
57°