U. S. Attorney Don Cazayoux resigning from post
BATON ROUGE - The U. S. Attorney who oversaw the prosecution of several corrupt mayors around the Baton Rouge area announced he's stepping down from the post.
Donald Cazayoux Jr.'s office announced today he's resigning effective July 1. Cazayoux was nominated to the post by President Barack Obama in 2010 and sworn in later that year as U. S. Attorney for the Middle District of Louisiana.
According to his office, during Cazayoux's tenure the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force charged more than 98 defendants with drug trafficking and seized more than $1.45 million in property and cash. The Health Care Strike Force also secured fraud indictments for 69 defendants, and said more than $32 million was ordered to be paid back to victims and federal agencies.
Cazayoux's office also oversaw the prosecution of several local mayors during the wide-ranging "Operation Blighted Officials" undercover sting by the FBI. It led to convictions or guilty pleas for the mayors of St. Gabriel, Port Allen, White Castle, and New Roads.
Cazayoux said he plans to join a private law practice in Baton Rouge. He previously served in the state House of Representatives from 1999 to 2008, and then the U. S. House of Representatives after winning a special election to fill a vacated seat. He lost the re-election to Bill Cassidy in 2009.