Two area parades lose Mardi Gras spirit
BATON ROUGE - As carnival celebrations kick into gear Friday, the region will celebrate without two krewes.
In the city, the Krewe of Jupiter and Juno canceled its traditional parade through downtown. It was scheduled to roll last weekend, opening the carnival parade season. Organizers said there were too few riders to make the parade possible this year. They hope to grow and parade again in 2016.
The parade had been a fixture of downtown for more than a decade.
In Livingston Parish, Walker canceled its volunteer parade. The mayor said only two floats and seven cars signed up for the parade, which was supposed to roll Saturday.
Other parades will roll this weekend in downtown beginning Friday night with the Krewe of Artemis. Click HERE for the WBRZ Mardi Gras online guide.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Airbnb prices could increase throughout capital region
DOTD provides update on multi-parish projects
Southern University's marijuana facility approved for rezoning
Official: Deadly house fire Sunday night was accidentally sparked by smoking materials
DA will seek death penalty for accused killer Dakota Theriot