Try again? La. Medicaid deals could come up for another vote
BATON ROUGE - Louisiana lawmakers may get a fourth time to consider approving $15.4 billion in Medicaid managed-care deals before Gov. John Bel Edwards enacts the contracts through an emergency process.
Edwards' chief attorney Matthew Block sent a letter to House leaders Tuesday saying if they want the Legislature's joint budget committee to reconsider the contracts at its meeting next week, the administration would participate in the hearing.
Proposals extending the terms of the five managed-care companies overseeing Medicaid services for 1.5 million people have been repeatedly blocked by House Republicans. In response, Edwards decided to enact the 23-month deals through an emergency contracting method.
Block said he's heard from House members who want another vote this month. If it's scheduled and unsuccessful in passing the deals, Edwards will continue with emergency contracts.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
$25 million lawsuit filed against LSU in last year's frat hazing death
Bernard doesn't attend school board meeting, group calls for resignation
Mayor stumped over asphalt found in sewer station
Despite busy week, police chief says violent crime down in Baton Rouge
Minor injuries reported after school bus crash on Hooper Road