Trevor's Wish Food Drive kicks off to feed the hungry
BATON ROUGE - The Trevor's Wish City-Wide Food Drive kicked off today in honor of a boy who asked to feed the hungry before succumbing to a rare form of cancer.
Trevor Sims, passed away last year at the age of 10 but left a legacy behind that has inspired many in the Baton Rouge community to give back.
A party at Caliente restaurant on W. Lee Drive, kicked off the drive Tuesday. Participants in the drive were given a free scoop of ice cream in exchange for a can of food.
Last year's donations brought the community together. Donations resulted in over $40,000 in canned food and over $80,000 in monetary contributions equaling to a total of 433,333 meals for those in need in the 2013 drive.
Trevor's mother, Allison Sims, says she hopes the event will push forward to fight hunger for a long time to come.
The Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank will be taking donations through the month of September. A list of donation drop-off locations can be found at Trevor's Wish site.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Teens recognized as state\'s top future soldiers by Governor Edwards
Coursey Blvd. gardening business vandalized, owner says more than $10,000 in damages
Man arrested accused of injuring prominent realtor in Prairieville
Baton Rouge man treated by President Trump's doctor after medical emergency
Families, veterans pay respects on Memorial Day at Port Hudson National Cemetery