The St. George Facebook fiasco
BATON ROUGE- The Facebook account metro councilman Ryan Heck has been using to discuss topics dealing with city government is no longer active.
When searched, the page returns a "sorry, this page isn't available" note from Facebook. The account had been named "Ryan E Heck."
The account was disabled sometime between Wednesday and Thursday after Heck posted on a thread dealing with the proposed City of St. George. Heck has made controversial comments through the site and told WBRZ News 2 Wednesday, he is defending himself against people who are spreading untruths.
Earlier this week, Heck responded to a user who called him a racist by posting: "You insinuate I'm a racist, you better be prepared to back up that claim, or meet me somewhere I can whip your ass."
Another person told WBRZ News 2 Thursday, he had an attorney issue a cease and desist order to Heck after receiving a similar message through a Facebook messaging feature.
Swede White said after removing Heck's account from his list of friends on Facebook, he was sent a message from Heck's account.
"You want me to come over there and kick your ass," the message asked White. White believes it was Heck who sent the message, although Heck could not be reached for comment Thursday.
"I think he should apologize not only to me, but to the city of Baton Rouge," White said. "I feel like he's an embarrassment."
Heck's tirade on Facebook follows other controversial moves on social media dealing with the St. George issue. In early April, councilman John Delgado likened St. George supporters to the terrorist organization Al Qaeda. Delgado later apologized for the comments. Click HERE to read more about that issue.
Then, Mayor-President Kip Holden urged everyone to act like adults when discussing the very heated issue.
"I regret that the St. George issue has resulted in unnecessary name calling and not a discussion of the issues. As you know, I have voiced my opinion against the separation. I encourage all parties to engage in civil discourse. We are all Americans and we should respect diverse views without name calling," Holden said.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Donations sought to upgrade police ballistic vests
BRAF's First Responders Fund has netted $200k+ in donations
Eight-year-old boy makes $20K donation to first responders fund
Overtime in the millions following violent protests in Baton Rouge
City employee accused of stealing $15,000 from parking meters