Syrian rebels say Aleppo evacuations will resume
Syrian rebels say they have reached a deal with the government in Damascus to resume evacuations from the last rebel territory in the eastern part of the city of Aleppo.
Ahmad Qara Ali, spokesman for the Ahrar al-Sham rebel faction, announced on Wednesday afternoon that "an agreement has been reached to resume the evacuation of Aleppo."
He says that "evacuations will begin shortly."
Syrian opposition forces agreed to surrender their last foothold in the city to the government last week. But a dispute has delayed the final round of evacuations for over 24 hours after some 20,000 civilians and fighters were bused out of the war-torn city.
The government is expected to announce it has retaken full control of the city when the operations are complete.
The International Committee of the Red Cross says it is prepared to facilitate the evacuations when they resume.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Rouzan development purchased, construction to start immediately
Free clinic continues this weekend
Funeral services for fireman killed in the line of duty announced
Couple sentenced in 2015 vigilante justice murder case
Man sneaks into local restaurant, robs employees & customers at gunpoint