Suspect said to have chosen gun over home
PARKLAND, Fla. - The teen accused of shooting and killing 17 people in a Florida high school is said to have left a suburban Palm Beach County mobile home in November because his benefactor gave him an ultimatum: you or the gun.
The Palm Beach Post reports Rocxanne Deschamps said, "He bought a gun and wanted to bring it into my house" in public comments that have since been removed from her Facebook page.
Chad Bennett, a friend of Deschamps', said Nikolas Cruz "chose the gun and he left."
It's not known if the gun that led to his departure is the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle authorities say he fired Wednesday afternoon in the hallways of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, leaving 14 students and three adults dead.
The paper reported the woman had taken in Cruz and his younger brother after their adoptive mother died of pneumonia Nov. 1. Nikolas left the home around Thanksgiving and moved in with a family in northern Broward County, a lawyer for that family has said.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Overtuned 18-wheeler shuts down I-10 in Henderson
$25 million lawsuit filed against LSU in last year's frat hazing death
Bernard doesn't attend school board meeting, group calls for resignation
Mayor stumped over asphalt found in sewer station
Despite busy week, police chief says violent crime down in Baton Rouge