Posted: Jan 15, 2012 5:20 PM
Updated: Jan 15, 2012 5:43 PM
Source: Associated Press
YORBA LINDA, Calif. - The father of the man suspected of killing homeless men in Southern California is himself homeless and says his son last week showed him a picture of one victim as a warning of the danger of being on the streets.
Forty-nine-year-old Refugio Ocampo also told The Associated Press on Sunday that his son came back a changed man after serving with the Marines in Iraq, expressing disillusionment and becoming ever darker as he struggled to find his way as a civilian.
The father says he lost his job and home, and ended up living under a bridge before finding shelter in the cab of a broken-down big-rig he's helping repair.
His 23-year-old son, Itzcoatl Ocampo, was arrested Friday in connection with the serial killings of homeless men since late December.