SUNO/UNO merger study pushed back to March 15
BATON ROUGE - The due date for a study of the possible consolidation of Southern University at New Orleans and the University of New Orleans has been pushed back to March 15.
The Board of Regents, which hired the consultant doing the review, says a pending lawsuit that had temporarily stalled the study forced the delay. The merger study had been requested by Gov. Bobby Jindal to be completed by Tuesday.
Regents spokeswoman Meg Casper says the governor's office agreed to move the study due date back by two weeks.
A judge had issued a temporary restraining order stopping the study last month after a lawsuit was filed by a group of Southern students against the review and the merger. A second judge lifted the restraining order and refused to block the study while the lawsuit continues.
Any merger would require approval from state lawmakers.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Just in time for bed, evacuation lifted after gas line rupture
Water to be cut off for residents delinquent on sewer fees
St. George organizers submit 4,630 additional signatures
City leaders address concerns about Jones Creek Road construction
Iberville deputies train for 'shoot/don't shoot' situations