States say Obama administration misled judge on immigration
HOUSTON - A coalition of states suing to stop President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration alleges the government misled a judge about not implementing part of the plan before the judge temporarily halted it.
The allegation was made in court documents filed Thursday in response to a Justice Department filing that acknowledged some deportation reprieves were granted before the Feb. 16 injunction.
Government attorneys had previously said officials wouldn't accept such requests under Obama's action until Feb. 18. However, the DOJ claims in its court filing Tuesday that the 100,000 immigrants who were granted three-year reprieves and work permits were already eligible under a previous immigration plan from 2012.
The states are asking the judge for access to more information about the actions.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
19-year-old victim identified in shooting at BREC Cadillac Street Park
Councilwoman says BREC is not being transparent about Baton Rouge Zoo move
DOTD using unique method to survey I-10 before widening project begins
Longtime volunteer prepares Alex Box Stadium for opening night
Getting the field just right at Alex Box Stadium