Rally held outside vehicular homicide hearing
CLINTON- Dozens of protesters gathered outside the courthouse in Clinton as the man accused of killing seven people in a drunk-driving crash appeared before a judge.
Marcus Gaines lost six of his family members and a family friend as a result of the crash.
"We're here for a mission and that is to make sure he does his time," Gaines said. "This man took seven lives, we feel that one life sentence should be justice for seven lives taken."
In court, Brett Gerald's attorneys asked that information from a "black box" recorder in Gerald's truck be turned over to them. State Police investigators testified that no reliable data was able to be recovered from the device.
"I don't think the report that was provided to us by State Police gives us a good indication of where the collision occurred," said defense attorney Tommy D'Amico.
Gerald pleaded not guilty to seven counts of vehicular homicide from the May 30 wreck. Investigators said he'd admitted to drinking for several hours at a golf course earlier that day.
"Truly this could have been anyone's family,"John Gaines Jr. said. "We want to make sure justice is served and this never happens again."
Gerald's trial is scheduled to begin on Dec. 10, and he's scheduled to be back in court for another motions hearing Oct. 9.