Posted: Aug 5, 2010 9:48 PM by Ashley Rodrigue
Updated: Aug 5, 2010 10:24 PM
The governor and Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries want a 20 year, $450 million deal to test and promote seafood safety. So far, BP has offered a two year commitment.
The seafood industry says it's going to take long-term, consumer-confidence efforts to return to pre-spill sales, and BP is responsible for it.
"The consumers, they need to believe in the product and to get out of this hole that BP has put us in. We will have to do this for, literally, we will have to do this for years to make sure the product is always good," said Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board Executive Director Ewell Smit.
The governor is also considering cutting a five year deal with BP, with the option to renew the plan for another five years when time is up.