State ordered to keep funding Planned Parenthood
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge extended protection of funding for Planned Parenthood clinics with a preliminary injunction Thursday.
U.S. District Judge John deGravelles' order continues a temporary order he issued last week protecting funding for 14 days. The order comes after Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast and some of its clients sued to block Gov. Bobby Jindal from cutting off Medicaid funding for cancer screenings, gynecology exams and other health services.
Jindal began the defunding effort after videos were released by an anti-abortion center. Activists claim the videos show Planned Parenthood illegally selling fetal tissue. Planned Parenthood denies the allegations.
Planned Parenthood does not perform abortions in Louisiana. The agency's clinics serve about 5,200 women, though.
"This ruling is a victory for [the people] in Louisiana who rely on Planned Parenthood for essential health care," said Melissa Flournoy, Louisiana State Director of Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast. "It is offensive that Governor Jindal continues to play political games with women's health care."
The governor's office said it will appeal the decision to the 5th Circuit and expects the ruling to be reversed.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Local ham company packed with holiday customers
Residents advised to shop smater, safer this holiday season
Iberville Parish Council opposes Baton Rouge development
$1,000 donation made to local anti-violence program in honor of Wayde Sims
Local non-profit teaches children how to fix, maintain bikes