BATON ROUGE - Health-conscious twins and LSU grads, Christina and Catherine Mahtook, visited our first evening broadcast on Wednesday with recipes from a cookbook of healthy recipes that was inspired by their mother's battle with breast cancer. Thanks to modern medicine, plenty of support and a plant-based diet, their mother is still going strong, feeling better than ever and her daughters wanted to channel those life-improving recipes into an "e-cookbook".
The recipes are meatless, dairy-free and easy to follow which means you can maintain a healthy diet while still keeping up with a demanding schedule. By sticking to the diet contained within, their mother's joint pain diminished and, by joining her in adopting the diet, the girls found they felt better than ever. They began experimenting in earnest with the recipes after they completed a month long plant-based diet challenge and the results are contained in this new, downloadable cookbook.
Check out the recipe below to sample the healthy, but delicious, recipes contained in their cookbook from the heart:
Southwestern Quinoa Recipe
- 2 cups of uncooked Quinoa
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 1 can of organic corn
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 handful of cilantro (more if desired)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon of Sriracha (more if desired)
- Chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Juice from 1 large lime
- Cook quinoa: rinse the quinoa well under cold water and drain. Rise using a fine mesh strainer unless you purchase the pre-rinsed quinoa
- Put the rinsed quinoa into a saucepan and add water. The quinoa to water ratio is 1:2. In other words, use 2 cups of water for every one cup of quinoa. You can adjust the amount of water based on the texture you desire for your quinoa. Obviously, the less water, the more rice-like or crunchier texture you will get.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Immediately after it starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. You'll know the quinoa is done cooking when all the water is soaked up. Make sure there is no excess water at the bottom of the pan. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- In a rice cooker, put rinsed quinoa into rice cooker and add necessary amount of water (remember: quinoa to water ratio is 1:2). Turn on rice cooker and let cook for about 15 minutes. Very simple! This is definitely our preferred method.
- Mix all ingredients with cooked quinoa. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Great as a side dish, dip, taco filling or stuffing.
To get your hands on a digital copy of the cooked called "Get Real with Twinatics", visit their website at twinatics.com. The direct link to the e-book can be reached by clicking here. For watching the segment, you have the added benefit of getting a 20-percent discount off the download. If you saw the live broadcast or just viewed the web video, Christina and Catherine would like to let you know that they are extending the promo code period through SUNDAY Aug, 28.
The promo code to enter at purchase for the 20-percent discount is: WBRZ
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Sheriff\'s Deputy and daughter slain
Deputy puts up \'grisly\' fight before being killed with daughter by neighbor
Sheriff's office investigating local case of creepy clowns
Thousands of dollars worth of electronics go missing from flooded school
Sheriff's deputy, daughter killed by upset neighbor