S. Korea lowers survivor count in ferry disaster
SEOUL, South Korea - Three weeks after South Korea's ferry tragedy, the government says it miscounted the number of survivors, a stunning error and the latest of many missteps that have eroded the nation's confidence in its leaders.
Coast guard chief Kim Suk-kyoon said Wednesday that only 172 people survived the April 16 sinking of the ferry Sewol - not 174, as the government had been saying since April 18.
Kim also said there are two more missing passengers than authorities previously knew about. Both are Chinese nationals.
That change raises the number of people feared dead to 304. So far 269 bodies have been recovered, and divers are searching for 35 more people. More than 80 percent of the dead are students from a single high school near Seoul.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Eight-year-old boy makes $20K donation to first responders fund
Overtime in the millions following violent protests in Baton Rouge
City employee accused of stealing $15,000 from parking meters
#25onthe25th declared a success
Dallas Police Officer returns to Baton Rouge for officer's funeral