Sony tries to save face with 'Interview' flip-flop
ATLANTA, GA - Sony's flip-flop on releasing "The Interview" shows the studio is working furiously to try to chart the right course through political and public-opinion minefields.
Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton said Tuesday that Seth Rogen's North Korea farce "will be in a number of theaters" beginning Thursday. He says Sony also hopes to release it on more platforms and in more theaters.
That's after Sony last week canceled the film's Christmas Day release in the wake of a hacking and after threats of terroristic attacks, a move that sparked criticism from President Barack Obama and widespread public outcry.
Analysts don't believe the decision will have any effect on Sony's image. But many moviegoers and theater operators are enthusiastic. Among them is Atlanta's Plaza Theater owner Michael Furlinger, who says he's thrilled.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tales of paranormal activity surrounding the Old State Capitol
The Louisiana Red Cross gives out free smoke alarms in two neighborhoods
LSU to wear uniforms saluting fallen WWI heroes Saturday
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $1 billion ahead of Friday drawing
Power restored in downtown Baton Rouge after electrical fire causes hours-long outage