Small dog set on fire by 9-year-old
BATON ROUGE - A small terrier dog named Zoey is recovering after it was set on fire by a 9-year-old boy, according to East Baton Rouge Animal Control.
Animal Control says the dog was in its kennel when the boy set the dog's bedding on fire. After hearing the dog yelping, Zoey's owner went outside and saved her.
The dog is recovering from second-degree burns on its stomach and all four of its paws.
"She's got a very big heart, and she's very sweet," said veterinarian Shannon Landry. "As soon as we put her on the table she was trying to make a bed for herself and trying to lay down to get the weight off of her feet, and she immediately won our hearts."
Zoey was signed over to the Companion Animal Alliance by the owner, who could not afford the costs to treat the burns. Vets said she'll recover in three or four weeks, and then be put up for adoption.
The boy is too young to face criminal charges.
"It's a very sad story what happened to her. It makes us feel good that we can help her and that she's going to do well when she recovers," said Landry.
If you would like to donate to help with the recovery of Zoey or other animals like her, you can donate to the Companion Animal Alliance sick and injured animal fund.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Strong storms roll through Baton Rouge area
Jury convicts deputy marshal for shooting death of boy, dad\'s injuries
At least 3 injured after tree falls on cars near Tara
Beloved cat with microchip went missing, adopted by another family
Hammond school closed Friday due to Norovirus outbreak