Shrimp corn dogs with homemade mustard sauce
BATON ROUGE - It was time for a special treat on News 2 at Noon as one of Louisiana's top chefs joined us on the set with a gourmet twist on a summer classic.
Chef and co-owner of Ruffino's Peter Sclafani visited the studio today with a deep fryer in tow and showed us how to create Louisiana-inspired shrimp corn dogs paired with a homemade mustard sauce.
The recipes are as follows:
Shrimp Corn Dogs
- 1 ¼ cups yellow corn meal
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ? cups sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 24 large shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (recipe below)
- 24 bamboo skewers
- mustard sauce (recipe below)
Combine the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In another mixing bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in the milk until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined. This should produce a wet smooth batter.
Skewer the shrimp (I use 16/20 headless, peeled) from the tail to the head keeping the shrimp as straight as possible. Once all your shrimp are skewered, season on all sides with Creole seasoning and dust in seasoned flour, shaking off all the excess.
Dip the shrimp head first into the batter until the shrimp is completely coated. Remove from the batter allowing the excess to drip off. I twirl the shrimp to even the batter.
Lower the shrimp head first into a fry basket that is set in a preheated fryer, holding on to the skewer. Allow to fry for 5 seconds before dropping. This should allow the batter to set so it does not stick to the basket.
When the first 6 shrimp are in the fryer, cover with another basket to keep the skewers submerged so they will brown evenly.
Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from the basket and allow
to drain. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
Serve with mustard sauce (below).
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- 10 tablespoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoons thyme, dried
- 10 tablespoons paprika, ground
Combine all ingredients in a zip lock bag and blend well.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- 1 tablespoon Colman's dry mustard
- 1 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco
- 6 ounces Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoons A.1. steak sauce
Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and blend well.