Posted: Aug 22, 2012 10:37 PM by Trey Schmaltz
Updated: Aug 22, 2012 10:37 PM
Source: Red Cross
BATON ROUGE- The Red Cross opened a shelter for the people evacuated from an area around a hazardous materials crash on I-10.
Overnight, crews will burn the chemicals inside a tanker that overturned earlier Wednesday.
The shelter is open at the Nairn Park Gymnasium located at 2800 Nairn Drive.
If authorities ask you to evacuate, remember to bring essential items for each family member:
• Prescriptions and emergency medications.
• Foods that meet special dietary requirements.
• Important personal documents.
• Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items.
• Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys.
• Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled.
The burning event should happen sometime near midnight. And, there may also be a shelter-in-place order for people who don't live in the immediate area.
If authorities issue a shelter-in-place order, you should:
• Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
• If you are told there is danger of explosion, close the window shades, blinds or curtains.
• Turn off all fans and air conditioning systems.
• Bring your pets with you, and make sure to have food and water supplies for them.
• Keep listening to your radio or television or digital media until you are told all is safe or you need to take other action.