Sharper's Louisiana case on drug, sex charges delayed
NEW ORLEANS - Ex-NFL star Darren Sharper has made a brief appearance on drug and sexual-assault charges in a state court in New Orleans, but the case is now delayed until June 15.
Sharper appeared Tuesday to answer to aggravated-rape and other state charges. But state District Judge Karen Herman says she's delaying the case because Sharper's federal case isn't yet resolved.
On Monday, Sharper returned to the city where he once was a football hero to answer to federal charges that he drugged women with the intent to rape them. He entered a formal not-guilty plea but is expected to change that under a multijurisdictional plea agreement announced last month.
He's pleaded guilty or no-contest to related charges in three other states and is expected to spend at least nine more years behind bars as the result of the plea agreement.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Funeral service held in Lafayette for former Gov. Kathleen Blanco
Local customers may be affected as AT&T employees go on strike
Drainage crews prepare for potential weekend downpour
Man who claimed God told him to cause deadly crash being sent...
Algae continues to take over LSU lakes, fish ordered