Settlement in Orleans disabilities case set for hearing
NEW ORLEANS - A settlement proposal that could close more than four years of negotiations over the treatment of New Orleans public school students with disabilities is the subject of a federal court hearing.
The lawsuit settlement was announced in December. Monday evening's hearing is set for U.S. District Judge Jay Zainey's courtroom. Last week, Zainey told attorneys on both sides to take steps to address undisclosed issues raised by opponents to the agreement.
Three sealed objections have been filed.
The 2010 lawsuit alleged public schools in New Orleans failed to meet the needs of students with a variety of disabilities, including bipolar and attention deficit disorders. The agreement includes provisions for a system to identify children with disabilities, place them in schools and help them achieve educational goals.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Police chief says no reason to be alarmed despite 8 shootings in...
Push for "City of St. George" could return, but with obstacles
Paratroopers jump into the Box as LSU welcomes military, baseball season
Chief: More police, partnerships will work to curb violent streak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: US Marshals searching for escaped WBR inmate