Second arrest made in Duplantier murder
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. - Police arrested a second suspect in connection with the high-profile kidnapping and murder of a Baton Rouge couple this week.
Baton Rouge Police charged 48-year-old Frank Garcia with the kidnapping and murder of Denis and Suzanne Duplantier. Police said the Florida man was arrested without incident.
Investigators previously arrested Ernesto Alonso in connection with the murders. Investigators said they believe Alonso, who was working for the Duplantiers at the time as a handyman, attacked them and beat them until they opened their cash-filled safe at their home.
Police said Alonso and Garcia then drove the Duplantiers to Hammond, using both Garcia's vehicle and one belonging to the Duplantiers, where they strangled the couple and left their bodies in their own vehicle.
Police used license plate readers to track Garcia's vehicle to his home in Florida. Detectives said authorities there found Alonso at Garcia's residence along with items stolen from the Duplantiers' home, and cell phone records put Garcia near the Duplantier's home at the time of their murder.
Alonso is scheduled to have an extradition hearing Thursday.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
New details on I-10 widening from Highland Rd. to Hwy. 73
$9B chemical plant to be built near Sunshine Bridge in St. James...
Rare aircraft brings piece of history to Hammond
Walk-On's celebrates breaking ground on first West Baton Rouge restaurant
Mayor expects an update on downtown library Tuesday