Schools close due to cold weather
BATON ROUGE - Several school systems announced plans to close or delay the start of classes Tuesday due to forecasts of freezing temperatures and wind chill.
The following schools have reported plans to close:
- Baker Schools
- Central Schools
- Delta College of Arts and Technology-BR Campus
- EBR Head Start and Early Head Start programs
- East Feliciana Parish Schools (Employees still report to their sites by 9 a.m.)
- Loranger Elementary, Loranger Middle School, and Loranger High; due to a boiler failure at the schools late Monday evening(only these three schools; other schools are open in Tangipahoa Parish)
- Kenilworth Science and Tech Academy (Teachers and staff must still report in as normal)
- Hosanna Christian Academy
- St. Helena Parish Schools
- Zachary Schools
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System and EBR Recovery School District schools delayed the start of classes Tuesday by two hours. Middle and high school would start at 9:10 a.m., while elementary schools would start at 10:30 a.m. School system transportation will also be delayed two hours.
Dismissal times would stay normal for those schools, and school employees are expected to report at their normal times. The school system said that would mean they would be open to accommodate students who normally walk to school, or are taken by their parents before work.
The EBR system said school meals, including breakfast, would be served to students who normally participate in the meals program, except for students who will be arriving later than usual on buses.
For more details about reporting outages to utility companies, check out our Emergency Contact Information page for a list of phone numbers and websites you can contact.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Gunfire outside Sorrento landfill escalates enviromental fight
Reported two alarm apartment fire on Titian Ave. near N Donmoor Ave.
20-year-old wanted for shooting near Doe's restaurant on Government Street
Legally blind teacher works, can't get disability assistance
Community gathers to honor Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day