Samsung says Note 7 recall to cost another $3 billion
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics says the discontinuation of the Galaxy Note 7 would cost the company about $3 billion during the current and next quarters.
The company says the Note 7 discontinuation will cost in the mid-2 trillion won range during the October-December period and another 1 trillion won ($884 million) during the January-March quarter.
Samsung has already slashed its third-quarter profit forecast by $2.3 billion earlier this week, an amount that could wipe out its entire mobile business profit.
It added that it will make significant changes in its quality assurance processes.
Due to mysterious fires and overheating, more than 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones were recalled twice, most of them in the United States and South Korea, before it was discontinued just two months since its launch.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One dead, another injured after South 15 Street shooting
Lawmakers prepare for third special session this year
Parkview Baptist teen preps for national rodeo
Dangerous hole in Zachary neighborhood posing serious threat, residents concerned
Power restored after storms pound East Baton Rouge again Friday
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern