Ryan says Obama misleading on Libya questions
WASHINGTON - Mitt Romney's running mate is again slamming President Barack Obama for his response to questions about the attack in Libya that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans last month.
Paul Ryan told a Milwaukee radio station (WTMJ) that Obama's answers have been "inconsistent" and "misleading." Ryan asks, "Why the stonewalling? In another Wisconsin radio interview (on WTAQ in Green Bay), Ryan said administration officials keep "shifting their story" about the attack in Benghazi.
Romney has criticized the administration for initially describing the attack as a spontaneous mob reaction to an anti-Muslim video on YouTube. Officials now acknowledge it was a terrorist attack.
U.S. officials are telling The Associated Press that the CIA station chief in Libya reported to Washington within 24 hours of the attack to say there was evidence it was carried out by militants. But it's not clear who received that information right away.
The White House isn't commenting on what it says would have been an "internal and classified CIA cable."
Ryan says he hopes there will be answers in Monday night's presidential debate -- which will focus on foreign policy -- and from a congressional investigation.