Posted: Mar 25, 2010 7:40 AM
Source: Associated Press
An Indiana couple's vacation came to an abrupt end in Terrebonne Parish when flames destroyed their RV after it caught fire at a gas station.
According to The Courier, firefighters doused the vehicle with water and foam for about 30 minutes as it burned beneath the awning of the gas station.
The fire began at about 1 p.m. Wednesday.
Seventy-three-year-old Irwin Binder, of Mitchell, Ind., says he the nozzle suddenly began spewing gasoline, forcing it from the pump.
He says the latch that locks the nozzle's handle was stuck and allowed gas to flow.
He suspects the gasoline reached a pilot light accessible through a vent on the RV, igniting the vehicle.