Ruffino's: Butternut Squash & Shrimp Bisque
This morning on 2une In, we kicked off November with a new Chef of the Month.
Peter and Gino Sclafani from Ruffino's Restaurant in Baton Rouge brought us this great recipe.
Butternut Squash & Shrimp Bisque
1 stick butter
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 cups shrimp, peeled
1 Tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1 bay leaf
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 cups chicken or shrimp stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups heavy cream
2 Tablespoons honey
1. Melt the butter in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
2. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes until soft.
3. Add the celery and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add the butternut squash and cook for 2 additional minutes.
5. Stir in the shrimp, garlic, and creole seasoning and cook for one minute.
6. Add the chicken or shrimp stock and bring to a boil.
7. When it begins to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and add the cumin.
8. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes. The squash should easily mash against the side of the pot when pressed.
9. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender.
10. After pureed, return to the heat and stir in the cream and the honey. Serve hot.
Note: If you need to use a blender or food processor, let the soup cool completely because hot soup will shoot out of the top of the blender. (If you want to freeze any of the soup this is when to do it.)