Posted: Jan 28, 2010 5:01 PM by Dana Hackett
Updated: Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
Residents in Sorrento say the town's sewage problems are only getting worse.
They claim manholes overflowed with sewage over a week ago, and it seeped into their homes. Many have been dealing with the problems for months.
"They claim they are going to do something, but then every time you bring it up it's something different," said Sheila Butler.
Butler has cut off water to her bathroom sink and doesn't use it anymore because she claims sewage has come up through the drain.
Residents wrote a letter to the Department of Environmental Quality explaining the problems and asking for help.
DEQ said it is trying to determine if a compliance order should be issued to the town. If so, that could lead to fines.
The Department of Health and Hospitals took samples from manholes last week. DEQ did similar tests when an incident was reported in November.
In November, Mayor Blake LeBlanc said fixing clogged manholes was a top priority. The town is also working on a plan to clean out its decades-old sewer ponds. Ascension Parish officials are providing $500,000 for that project.
The Sorrento town council meets again in February to talk about how to improve the sewage system.