Redevelopment Authority chooses interim director
BATON ROUGE - The Redevelopment Authority of East Baton Rouge voted to accept the resignation of their former director and select his interim replacement.
Walter Monsour announced his resignation on Nov. 3. He said it was necessary for the overall health of the organization, which is in dire financial straits.
The board voted Thursday to appoint Gwen Hamilton as interim CEO. Hamilton was most recently assistant chief administrative officer to Mayor-President Kip Holden and managed EBR's blight-fighting Office of Community Development. The RDA has a similar mission of revitalizing urban areas in the parish.
Her starting salary will be set at $75,000. With benefits Monsour made an estimated $365,000 per year running the RDA, which drew criticism since the authority was struggling to make ends meet. The authority's board said today making the switch will save enough money to keep them open an additional six months.
Monsour's resignation goes into effect on Nov. 30, and the board said they will discuss a budget next month. Monsour previously said that unless new funding can be secured, the RDA will run out of money and be forced to shut down near the end of 2015.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tales of paranormal activity surrounding the Old State Capitol
The Louisiana Red Cross gives out free smoke alarms in two neighborhoods
LSU to wear uniforms saluting fallen WWI heroes Saturday
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $1 billion ahead of Friday drawing
Power restored in downtown Baton Rouge after electrical fire causes hours-long outage