Red Cross opens hurricane evacuation shelter
HAMMOND - One shelter opened in Tangipahoa Parish Saturday for people looking for better shelter as Hurricane Nate takes aim at the Gulf Coast. Two additional shelters will also open in Washington Parish later in the day.
OPEN NOW: Greenville Park* – 111 J.W. Davis Dr., Hammond, LA 70401
*The Greenville Park evacuation shelter has opened in response to the mandatory evacuation of St. Bernard Parish residents outside of the levee system.
WILL OPEN 5:00PM - Franklinton High School – 1 Demon Circle, Franklinton, LA 70438
WILL OPEN 5:00PM - Elizabeth Sullivan Memorial United Methodist Church – 510 Ave. B, Bougalusa, LA 70427
The Red Cross encourages anyone coming to a Red Cross evacuation shelter to bring personal items for each member of their family:
- Prescription and emergency medications
- Extra clothing
- Pillows, blankets and other comfort items
- Hygiene supplies
- Important documents
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Supplies needed for children and infants such as diapers, formula and toys
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
Check back for updates.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz