94°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 Day Outlook
Sun
101°
75°
0%
Mon
98°
76°
10%
Tue
99°
76°
10%

Latest Weather Blog

Follow our weather team on social media

BRPD: Hernandez still "potential suspect" in attack

3 years ago December 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011 Wednesday, December 14 2011 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:22:47 PM CST in News
Source: Baton Rouge Police Department
By: Russell Jones

BATON ROUGE - Police said today that a man arrested for rape in Baton Rouge had not been ruled out from a second attack, as they had previously reported.

Sgt. Don Kelly said "inaccurate information" was released that 18-year-old Allan Hernandez, who was arrested in suspicion of a rape on Stanford Avenue, was cleared through DNA evidence of an attempted rape on Lee Drive.

Kelly said Hernandez remains in jail for the rape arrest and "there is insufficient evidence at this time... to either link Hernandez to that crime [Lee Drive] or to clear him."

Cpl. L'Jean McKneely told News 2 in an interview on Dec. 8 that DNA had ruled Hernandez out as a suspect in the Lee Drive attack. Kelly said today the statement was due to a miscommunication between an investigator and a spokesperson with his office.

Investigators later used DNA to connect Hernandez to the Stanford Ave. rape, according to Kelly.

Police previously issued a warning to people living in the area after the attacks, saying the suspects in both had very similar descriptions. Both victims were also brought in to help compile a sketch of the suspect.

Related Stories

More News

comments powered by Disqus

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days