Pat Shingleton: "The Wrong Space for a Heater..."
This reminder was posted yesterday on ABC World News Tonight and is appropriate for the rest of the winter season. Folks that use space heaters don't realize how much heat it puts out. Space heaters are blamed for more than 1,200 fires every year with an estimated 70 deaths and $53 million in damage. The problems occur when flammable materials are placed too close to a space heater. The proper distance is a minimum of three feet. Another safety rule involves extension cords. Lightweight cords aren't equipped to handle the amperage for this type of heater and at 350 degrees, the average cord would melt, causing a flash fire especially under a carpet. A final rule is insuring that the space heater has a heat sensor and automatic-shut-off.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Lead in St. Joseph water
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Brusly officer resigns after waving gun in air, shouting threats
Brusly officer waves gun in air, shouts threats at sister-in-law
Ascension gov't may cut flood victims some slack, amid complaints
89-year-old taken to hospital after crash on Hooper Road