Paris Mayor to sue over "no-go" zone reports
PARIS - The mayor of Paris said Tuesday she plans to file a lawsuit against Fox News after the network reported on now-debunked claims that there were "no-go" zones for non-Muslims in several European countries, claims which were echoed by Louisiana's governor this week.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said the news channel "insulted" her city with the claims that portions of the her city were controlled by Muslims practicing a form of Islamic law and that police were afraid to go there.
"The image of Paris has been prejudiced, and the honor of Paris has been prejudiced," Hidalgo said.
Fox aired several retractions and apologies over the weekend for the segments, admitting they were inaccurate and not supported by any credible evidence. Critics blasted the network for the reports, especially French outlets which decried them as attempts to drum up anti-Islam sentiment in the wake of the Paris terror attacks earlier this month.
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal repeated the "no-go" zone claims in a Monday speech to the Henry Jackson Society in London. When questioned and asked to show evidence backing up his claims later on an CNN appearance, Jindal refused to do so.
Muslims in Baton Rouge called Jindal's speech "racist," and a clear indicator he was planning to run for president and drum up his national profile.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
LSU begins digitizing century-old editions of longtime campus newspaper
Hundreds of volunteers pick up litter around the capital city
New entertainment venue set to open at Mall of Louisiana in 2019
Cheeky Capitol parking lot security system strikes again
Denham Springs adds second resource officer to watch its schools