Owner no longer wants to sell club targeted by mass shooting
ORLANDO - The owner of the Florida nightclub where the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place says she's no longer interested in selling the property to the city of Orlando.
Pulse nightclub owner Barbara Poma said in a statement Monday that she can't walk away from the property.
Last month, the city of Orlando announced plans to purchase Pulse and eventually convert it into a memorial.
The city had planned to pay $2.25 million for the gay nightclub property.
Poma says in her statement she plans to use the space to create a "sanctuary of hope" and a welcoming area where people can reflect on those affected by the tragedy.
Forty-nine people were killed and dozens more injured after gunman Omar Mateen opened fire inside the nightclub last June.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Former East Feliciana Parish Coroner to be arraigned
Another Louisiana special session on taxes opens
Bridge on N. River Road impassable since 2016 flood, drivers demanding answers
WATCH: Python hunter rescues 4-foot alligator from the grip of a 10-foot...
Nutria spotted around City Park Lakes, best left alone
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern