Officials: New Orleans disaster aid not likely
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans City Council members say damage from weekend flooding probably won't qualify as a federal or state disaster.
Council President Jason Williams and Councilwoman LaToya Cantrell spoke separately with The Associated Press after visiting flooded areas Monday.
Both say they don't have a dollar value on damage, but it probably won't reach the threshold for federal and state disaster aid.
Williams says he plans Tuesday's special council meeting as "an autopsy of every single thing that happened between Saturday and Sunday." He says that includes the number of pumps at each of the 24 pumping stations, their condition and when they were turned on.
Williams says he also wants to learn whether drainage projects in other parts of the city are causing backups in areas that typically have not flooded.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Volunteers clean up historical cemetery on MLK Day
Amid growing concerns about drainage, big change could be in store for...
Trending highlights; See the best moments from last week
Community garden laying down roots to alleviate food desert
Video captures moose chasing skiers at Colorado resort