National News

Officials: Man linked to DC-area shootings in 2010

Font size

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 2:37 AM by Brittany Rivas
Source: Associated Press

  Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

Topics: shooting, Washington D.C., Marine, military, Pentagon

ARLINGTON, Va.- Officials say they have evidence linking a Marine reservist who was detained near the Pentagon last week to the 2010 shootings at several D.C.-area military buildings.

The officials said Wednesday authorities are investigating Yonathan Melaku in the shootings. Melaku was detained Friday after he was spotted carrying a suspicious backpack near the Pentagon containing what initially was feared to be bomb-making material. Authorities said the items were not explosive.

Melaku has not been charged in the shootings, which did not injure anyone. The museum near the Marine Corps Base in Quantico was struck twice and one of the recruiting stations hit was a Marine outfit.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they're not authorized to talk about the investigation.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular