Obama open to changes to military authority against ISIS
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The White House says President Barack Obama is open to negotiating with Congress on many elements of his request for war powers against Islamic State militants.
That includes his proposed three-year limit on U.S. military action and the use of American troops. But the White House says Obama is firmly opposed to any geographic restrictions on where the U.S. military can pursue Islamic State militants.
After a weeklong holiday break, lawmakers return to Washington on Monday and start work on Obama's request.
The White House also now says if Congress approves a new authorization, Obama will no longer rely on the authority approved in 2001 to pursue the Islamic State group and instead solely rely on the new powers.
He's been using the 2001 authorization in the fight so far.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Fake Uber driver robs LSU students, flees scene
Assumption Parish urges residents to get ready with threat of flooding
Residents frustrated over lack of maintenance to North Baton Rouge park
One man, fireman and police officer, gets hero's funeral he deserved
Baton Rouge comes out in force for 33rd Wearin' of the Green...