Obama: Feds to cover larger share for flood damage projects
BATON ROUGE - President Barack Obama has authorized the federal government to cover a larger percentage of the costs for repairing damage to public infrastructure from the historic flooding in south Louisiana.
In a letter to Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards dated Thursday, Obama says he agreed to increase the federal government's share of the costs for "public assistance" projects from 75 percent to 90 percent. State and local government agencies cover the balance for these projects, which includes debris removal and emergency response expenses.
Obama's letter says his administration already has spent more than $660 million to help the state respond to last month's floods.
In a letter to Obama dated Sept. 2, Edwards said the state had more than $8.7 billion in flood damage.
“I am grateful to the Obama administration for understanding the needs of our people and committing the federal resources necessary to help Louisiana during this difficult time,” said Gov. Edwards. “The personal and financial devastation caused by this storm has impacted thousands of individuals and families, as well as the state and local governments. This much needed help creates a clearer path forward, but we still have a long way to go and will continue to ask the federal government for additional assistance. While it will take time to complete the rebuilding process, this amended cost share will enable us to help our people come back stronger than ever.”
The full letter can be read by clicking here.
“The cost share adjustment granted by the President was welcome news for our group,” Congressman Cedrick Richmond said. “We appreciate the Administration’s continued support as we work to make our citizens whole after last month’s flooding."