NO City Council OKs change to French Quarter curfew
NEW ORLEANS- The New Orleans City Council has approved an amendment to the city's curfew law.
The change would ban those 16 years old or younger from the French Quarter and Marigny (MARE-ih-nee) after 8 p.m. on weekends.
Councilwoman Kristen Palmer said Thursday she wants to keep youth off French Quarter streets to help curb crime and underage drinking. Last year, police say, there were almost 800 arrests of juveniles in the Quarter.
The curfew will affect the areas bounded by Canal Street and Elysian Fields, Rampart and the Mississippi River. Frenchman Street also would be included in that zone.
The curfew ordinance will have several exceptions, including minors who are accompanied by a parent or guardian, and those who are traveling to and from work.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Shell Chemical to spend $717 million to expand Geismar plant
NOPD says married Sen. Troy Brown punched girlfriend at Bayou Classic party
Mental health services see spike in demand as hospitals close
$4 million of EKL medical equipment missing
Elderly man thankful for great neighbors, despite horrible plight