New BRPD chief won't be named today
BATON ROUGE - Kip Holden will not decide who the city's next police chief is today, according to the East Baton Rouge Mayor-President's office.
Holden had said last week he would make his pick for the city's next top cop no later than Wednesday, but today mayoral aide Scott Dyer said they would not be releasing anything on the position.
Holden's office has been given a list of five finalists for the position chosen by an advisory committee he had organized. Those finalists are:
- Lonnie Lockett - BRPD Major Assault Division commander
- Donald White - LSP Emergency Services Unit commander
- Jamie Fields - Former Detroit deputy police chief
- April Overman - Former NOPD officer
- Willard Bates - Criminal investigator with La. DEQ
The mayor has until the end of May, when interim police chief Charles Mondrick's term will expire and can't be extended.